Yes, this post is mostly just an excuse to put up new photos of baby Oscar, but I did make some burp cloths I can show you, too. You’ll have to sift through the baby pictures to find them, though…
Awhile back I ordered some cloth diapers online to make burp cloths and had intended to sew a panel of fabric down the center, but I ended up with the kind that wash up to be very quilted and bumpy, so I had to come up with another plan.
The diapers are super soft and absorbent, and I wanted to maximize the surface area that could be used to mop up the spit, but still add a little pop of color. I know there are already plenty of ways to make a burp cloth, but here’s another one for ya.
To make these I just cut 2-inch strips of fabric and folded them like bias tape to bind the edges of the diapers – I cut the strips on the grain, since I was binding a straight edge. Then I sandwiched each end of the diaper in the binding, tucked 1/2 an inch in on the ends, and sewed across.
A pack of six diapers is less than $12, so they come out to about $2 each – not bad at all.
Oh, and hi from Oscar…he slept through most of his first week, but he’s much more alert now. And kinda cute, or so we think.
And Lila is still his #1 fan…