Have I mentioned that I love me some Oliver + S Sailboat Pants? The chambray pair I made in April were as plain and simple as you could get, so I decided the next ones should be a little more exciting and a little less practical. There’s nothing practical about elephants all over your pants, that’s for sure.
This is the same fabric (Daiwabo Tip Top Elephants) I used for my nephew’s Toddler Backpack last year. I had a decent amount left, and I must have laid out these pattern pieces on my remaining fabric three separate times before overcoming the denial that they weren’t going to fit. But then I saw that Cool Cottons had restocked it, so I hurried in and got myself another yard. It’s a lightweight canvas and I’ve wanted to turn it in Sailboat pants ever since I laid eyes on these and these in the Oliver + S Flickr group.
I used piping again (like these), but this time I made my own using this piping tutorial. You can’t beat the convenience of packaged piping, but the color choices are really limited and seem to lean toward the bright and garish side. It was just a little piece, so not too much work.
I mostly like these pants, but I will say that the 3Ts seem a little baggy in the crotch. You’d think I might have noticed that when I made the last pair, but apparently it slipped my mind. Anyway, I think lengthening the 2Ts might have made for a better fit.
Also, the elephants were printed at a slight slope, so despite my best efforts to cut on the grain, I ended up with elephants that don’t match up across the front of the pants. Not so noticeable when she has them on…but that’s when you do notice the saggy crotch. Ah well. On to something else…